The Rib Mountain Repeater Association
Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Directors
16 June 2008
WHRM-DTV Tech Workshop, Rib Mountain
Board members present:
Rich Maier KC9NW
Tony Hermanek K9QM
Brian Seehafer N9ATQ
Dean Andrewjeski K9PT
Paul Nelles K9DB
The meeting was called to order at 19:12 CDT by President Rich Maier KC9NW.
Secretary’s Report: K9DB
Printed copies of the minutes of the meeting of 19 May 2008 were distributed and accepted as
printed by consensus.
Treasurer’s Report: N9ATQ
The treasury stands at $311.42. No change from last month’s meeting.
There are no outstanding bills.
Accepted as presented by consensus.
1.2 GHz Repeater:
- K9PT reporteda temporary antenna has been mounted on the ice bridge at the candelabra for the voice repeater. This setup has limited coverage since it is not above tree level. The data repeater antenna at the 125-foot level on the west tower leg has excellent coverage.
- As reported at the last meeting, K9PT has obtained permission from the state to temporarily use an unused ITFS antenna cable running to the 175 ft level on the candelabra.
- K9PT reported a Diamond X6000A tri-band antenna (2m/70cm/23cm) has been obtained. Permission to mount this antenna at the 175 ft level location is being finalized. A tower crew will cost about $700.
- K9PT suggested that the RMRA sponsor a well-publicized D-STAR introduction event. This event would not only educate the local Amateur community but also provide good public relations with non-Amateur groups and individuals.
- A discussion was held on possible configurations for a replacement controller for the existing and aging ACC controller. It’s generally held that the difficulty of servicing the controller is the weak point in the system. KC9NW reported that S-COM has a controller for around $450. This would be used to replace the ACC controller. A disadvantage of this unit is that there are only three repeater ports. Link-Systems and R-Com have a more advanced unit that is expandable but more expensive. No decision was made, but its felt this should be acted upon at the next meeting or shortly thereafter.
Repeater Access Codes:
- A discussion was held on whether to expand access codes for IRLP. This will be necessary if IRLP access is to be limited to RMRA members. No decision was made.
- K9DB reported he used the 911 autopatch the previous week to report livestock on Marathon County Hwy C. The performance was excellent.
144.81/145.41 Repeater at Brighton:
- K9PT reported that the PL for the Brighton machine has been changed from 179.9 Hz to 114.8 Hz.
Topics from the Floor:
Meeting adjourned 20:51 CDT.
Paul Nelles K9DB